Saturday, May 1, 2010

It's like a line from The Sound of Music...

Lip Gloss and Toothpaste and something about kittens or somebody something like that... I just can't help but think of the favorite things song when I think about this week's projects.
Anyhow, here are the directions for my (failed) attempt at lip gloss.
You'll need:
beeswax
sweet almond oil
honey
peppermint oil
lovely little containers
something that can be used for melting the wax
Directions:
Melt the beeswax (I used natural from Michael's) and the sweet almond oil. I didn't measure everything precisely and that lead to my failure, so be sure to get these amount correct. You'll need 2 teaspoons beeswax and 7 teaspoons sweet almond oil. Melt these together then remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon honey. Whisk vigorously. This is essential, as I've read that the gloss will separate if you aren't thorough here. After whisking, allow the mixture to cool slightly and add a couple of drops of peppermint oil. I'd say you only need 3, but some recipes call for more. Peppermint oil is very concentrated and can be expensive, so decide what you're comfortable using. Mix thoroughly and pour into the container of your choice. Enjoy!




Onward... toothpaste = awesome success!


You'll need:
1 cup baking soda
zest of 1 lime
about 15 drops of peppermint oil (again, use to your liking)
a box grater
and a fabulous jar

I used this tiny box grater to zest the lime. I could have zested two and been happy, but one was enough work. Allow the zest to dry for a couple of hours. If you'd prefer, you can then crush the zest with mortar and pestle. Add the lime zest to baking soda and peppermint oil. Shake all the ingredients in your fabulous container. This recipe was easy and quick to make. Jason and I tried it last night and this morning. I'm totally sold... I won't buy toothpaste again.


Here's a close up of the tooth"paste"-- it's really just flavored baking soda.



And here is my fantastic container:



The dogs stayed up late with us last night as we prepared these recipes. Clearly, they needed a nap today from all their hard work last night...




I have a final exam Sunday and another on Wednesday. My craft adventure for this week will be paper mache beads... it might be a two week adventure with these finals, though.
Have a crafty week!

No comments: